Saturday, March 7, 2009

You live, you learn, you love, you learn...



There was a knock at our door the other day. Outside were two little girls in their school uniforms. "We're collecting money and toys for the children in Gaza," they chorused in unison. I threw some bills in their jar and the little girls said thank you and went on to the next villa.

"What's Gaza?" asked Bethy.

Sigh. "Gaza is where there's a war, sweetheart."

"What's a war?"

OK, here we go. "A war is when adults are killing each other, a lot. Bad things happen. Sometimes kids get trapped in a war and they get killed by mistake too."

Bethy was quiet for a moment. Then she said, "Mommy, I have lots of toys. We can give some to the kids. I didn't know or I would have run upstairs and gotten them and given them to the girls to give to those kids trapped in the war."


I told her that we could go put some of her toys in the donation box at the grocery store any time she felt like it.

Then Bethy gave me a big hug and I gave her one back.

A little boy of three sittin' on the floor

Looks up and says, "Daddy, what is war?"

"Son, that's when people fight and die."

The little boy of three says "Daddy, why?"

-Johny Cash

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This brings tears to my eyes...children are so precious and amazing! Cheers!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Natalie, I work with your mom at the Issaquah Library. I happened on your blog one day when she had logged in at the computer I used later.

I am sooo enjoying reading about your adventures! It is facinating to read first hand accounts of such a different culture.

My husband was raised Muslim and comes from Bangladesh but this is just way beyond even that. Best wishes, Elizabeth

Will & Cheyenne said...

We have the conversation a lot. "Why would people do that if it's bad?" Or "Why would people make it if it's bad"? Good question!

Friendly Neighborhood Librarian said...

Amen!

You did well Natalie.
Blessings to all of you.

halfbreed said...

thank you, natalie! and thanks for the invite to post this...

http://www.a2eto.org

we are a collective of artists joining hands to take a stand against the israeli occupation. if anything, all are welcome to come, read and learn, and comment as they wish.

my children know what i am doing in the most peripheral sense of it. just today we were going through their clothes and pulling out the newest items that were too small (we are kindly deluged by grandparental affection and i never have the heart to say "no"), some with the tags still on, to donate. autumn my youngest said, "like to the children in Gaza?"

little children have huge amazing hearts and it's good to be reminded of a love so far beyond ourselves.