Monday, September 22, 2008

Catch a wave and you're sittin' on top of the world...

Thomas and I threw all responsibilities to the wind yesterday and went to the beach by the Burj al Arab.
we dug in the sand
had a ball catching waves (and sunny rays) (check out my hottie Ramadan beach outfit...long pants, long sleeved shirt. Toasty!)

and found gifts from the sea





I noticed this: one of the only signs I've seen here written solely in English. "DANGER LOOSE SAND NO SANDBOARDING KEEP AWAY". Hmmmm...what does that say to you about the tourists here?

After getting thoroughly soaked and sandy, the sand away from the water heating up to blazing, we went to a garden centre (yes, yes, I know it's spelled c-e-n-t-e-r, what can I do?) and picked up a Frangipani tree for the balcony and some of the vincas to show our gardener Ajas and give the formal approval for them. I had an interesting time convincing Raju, the nice fellow who pushed the flatbed for us at the gardening, um, place, that yes, I did want the tree in the laid down passenger seat. Thomas thought riding with the tree was the most fun one could have in a car.



Ajas was tickled with the vincas this morning. Hey, the American lady figured it out. He has the best, widest smile. I'm not sure which of the two of us was more proud. I look forward to a colorful flower border of pinks, whites, and fushia. He carefully planted my few little ones in a straight line, equally spaced along the walkway. And even as I type I have a nice lady scrubbing the heck out of the kitchen and cleaning the windows spotless for good pay here: $6.80 USD an hour.


Try not to feel too sorry for me today.

No comments: