Friday, February 26, 2010

I want to ride my bicycle...

The sand is blowing fiercely outside, coating everything with a gritty pale patina. Thomas was concerned about his bike and we gave it a good wipedown this morning, though within minutes it was covered again. A sandstorm day is not unlike a snow day back home: after the novelty has worn off it's good to sit inside and let the weather do what it likes without us. We watch the palms whip in the warm winds, the bright papery bourgainvillea flowers get scattered, and the ribbons of sand snake across the road.

I had to tell Thomas, sorry, not a good day for cycling, buddy.


Bicycles are one of my favorite photography subjects. They are romantic in the way that train travel and afternoon tea are. The sand wore us down a little, and I don't feel terribly wordy,(yeah, yeah, I know, mark this day on the calendar), so instead of my prattling away at you, let me share some photographs of bicycles from around Dubai. There's nothing particularly special about these, they just make me happy.




"cool bike" it says. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, after all.


a gardener's bicycle with his tools wedged into the handlebars



bicycles waiting patiently
along the piles of cargo by Dubai Creek


an early morning cyclist in Diera, wearing the flowing clothing typical of a Pakistani man

Have a lovely weekend, everyone. I'm going to go have a nice cup of tea.

1 comment:

Friendly Neighborhood Librarian said...

Thank you for the bicycle photos. I like to say I ride my bike but I haven't done it in months.
I will begin again soon!